Monday 17 March 2014

Rumi and some modern beats

Performed by an Iranian singer Hani Niroo this music piece most probably won't leave you indifferent, especially after you understand the lyrics by Mowlana Jalaluddin Mohammad Balkhi better known as ‘Rumi’ 

from Acid Pauli's Get Lost 2012 album
from LLUVIA BLANCA ALBUM MIX 2012 Katermukke

Sitting here, You and I
Sitting here, you and I, the courtyard breeze is cool
Two images, two forms, one thought, you and I
The orchard-shades, the songs of birds give up the world’s secrets
When we find ourselves here in this garden
The stars of distant galaxies come to gaze on us
You and I, together, we show them the moon
You and I, without ‘you’ and ‘I’, we are absolute joy 
Happy, free from empty words, such are you and I
All those birds of paradise, full of childish envy 
While in that same place, you and I, we cannot help but laugh
What’s truly strange is you and I, here together, now
At once here in the west and at once here in the east
such we always were
You and I

For more contemporary Persian poetry, I recommend to check Forugh Farrokhzad whose revolutionary sensual and profound oeuvre were bold manifestations of her essence, her thoughts and constant search. 

Here's an excerpt from her “Window” (1967) poem:

When my trust hung from the thin thread of justice
And the hearts of my lamps were smashed into tiny pieces
All over town
And the childlike eyes of my love were blindfolded 
With the black kerchief of law
When blood was gushing forth from the anxious temples of my desire
When my life was nothing other than the ticking of the clock
I realized that I must love
That I must madly love.
When my life was nothing other than the ticking of the clock
I realized that I must love
That I must madly love.

No comments:

Post a Comment